Monday, November 05, 2007

Total Flop X2

Tonight's dinner, that is. Complete and total flop.

I had intended to make "Poor Man's Soup" out of one of my mom's old cookbooks. At 4:30, I realized that I had neglected to pre-soak the beans. I got them in for a quick soak which involved bringing the water to a boil then allowing to soak for 1 hour. The first direction for the soup was to let them simmer for 45 minutes. The last direction was to allow all of the ingredients to simmer for 1 hour. That put us eating dinner somewhere around 7:30. Not too conducive to an 8 o'clock bedtime.

Onto plan B: Sorta sloppy joes made with the leftovers I could find in the frig. Pre-browned hamburger, some black beans, olives, mushrooms, tomato sauce and a little bit of salsa all warmed up. Dump onto leftover hamburger buns, top with cheese, set under broiler until bubbly. I didn't think that we could go wrong. Well, I was wrong. I had one bite and almost gagged. I think the beans were a bit too old, though the ones that I tasted before I dumped them in were fine.

We're having apple crisp for dinner. :) It's in the oven. Hopefully THAT will turn out OK.

3 comments:

Butterfly Mama said...

LOL!!! Yum... apple crisp. We had cereal last week after dinner because I thought there were enough leftovers for all of us...NOT!

SarahRachel said...

Ha ha...this sounds a lot like dinner at our house...only after the first flopped meal, Alan would've been bringing home take out! You put in a lot more effort than I'm willing to! ;-)

Brenda said...

Mmmm....my favorite kind of dinner! Hope it was super yummy! :)