Monday, June 09, 2008

moving right along

Seems this baby is mover and a shaker. I'm getting lots of little kicks and wiggles and loving every minute. Those who've seen me recently have noticed that I have a wee bit of a baby belly. Let me tell you, it feels a bit more than a wee little belly, but I know where I'll have to go, so I'm not complaining...too much. ;)

Fetal development in pregnancy week 18:

fetus in fifth month


We have two more ounces! Your "getting bigger-n-better by the minute baby" is already up to 7 ounces and 6 inches! This is a big week for their baby skin. There are now two distinct layers—the epidermis (or the surface skin) and dermis. Currently, their skin is covered with a greasy, waxy, cheese-like substance, known as vernix caseosa. Sure, it sounds pretty nasty, but this mixture of fatty secretions covering your little swimmer from head to toe is the best way to protect their oh-so-thin skin from bruising and abrasions as well as chapping caused by amniotic fluid exposure (and your little one is swimming in that stuff!).
Oh, and I'm not going to mention that I've already gained 8 lbs.... what in the world? This baby weighs, what? 7 oz? this is ridiculous!

The other day, I pointed to my belly and asked K what that was. Her first answer was belly button, but her second answer was, BABY!! ;) I love it! B likes to give hugs and kisses to "my baby" before snooze and bed, too. This little one sure is loved.

Now, to find out if it's a boy version or a girl version..... (update on that coming in about 3 weeks.)

No comments: